COVID-19 High-Risk Client Policy
Clients Who Are at High Risk of Serious Illness Due to COVID-19
Updated December 2021
- Among adults, the risk for severe illness from COVID-19 increases with age, with older adults at the highest risk. Severe illness means that the person with COVID-19 may require hospitalization, intensive care, or a ventilator to help them breathe, or they may even die.
- If you are over 65, but otherwise healthy and have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, you are welcome to schedule a massage appointment. Please follow the general COVID-19 policies.
People of Any Age with Underlying Medical Conditions:
- People of any age with the following conditions are at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19:
- Chronic kidney disease
- Weakened immune system due to organ transplant, immunosuppressive drugs
- Serious heart conditions, (cardiomyopathy, heart failure, coronary artery disease)
- Sickle cell disease
- Type 2 diabetes
You can read more about high risks associated with COVID-19 at the CDC’s coronavirus information site.
COVID-19 High-Risk Client Massage Scheduling Protocol
- If you are over the age of 65 and otherwise healthy & active – you may schedule your appointment as normal, with the understanding that there is STILL risk of becoming seriously ill should you contract COVID-19. A COVID vaccination is required at this time.
- If you have any ONE of the above conditions, and it is well-managed and you are otherwise healthy & active – contact me to discuss the risks before scheduling. If you have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, you may schedule a massage appointment as normal.
- If you have MORE THAN ONE of the above conditions, they are well-managed, you are otherwise healthy and active, and you have been fully vaccinated, you may schedule a massage appointment as normal.
- Even if you are vaccinated, if you have ONE OR MORE of the above conditions and any of them are not well-managed – you must discuss massage with your doctor(s), and they must send me a note indicating that they have discussed the concerns below with you and that you are cleared to receive a massage, or modified massage (lighter pressure, skip certain areas, etc). They can email the note directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail it to Birch Tree Wellness – 69 Main St, Orono, ME 04473
Massage Risks to Discuss with Your Doctors
- Is the risk of exposure to COVID-19 worth the benefits of massage?
- Are the risks due to a weakened immune system are low enough to be in close contact with a massage therapist for 60+ minutes (while both parties are wearing a mask)?
- Do you have clotting risks?
- Massage has the potential to disrupt embolisms, clots, and macrovascular clots through both the manual action of massage and the increase of circulation.
- There are also concerns about clotting issues related to having had COVID-19, even if you are not aware of having had it, or were not tested positive for it.
- Does increasing the flow of circulation impose any other risks?
- Does massage risk aggravating any inflammatory conditions you may have?
- Are you at an increased risk of bruising due to your condition or medication you may be on?
- Will wearing a mask for an extended period of time trigger an asthma attack or other breathing issues?
- Are the risks associated with any other health conditions you may be experiencing worth the benefits of massage?
Please take these health risks very seriously, and discuss them honestly with both your doctors and myself. If I ask you to discuss your health concerns with your doctor and have them send me a note, and you do not wish to do this, I will not be able to schedule a massage with you at this time.
Thank you & stay healthy,
~Tricia Griffith, Licensed Massage Therapist