UPDATE 4/3/2020: The Governor has ordered all non-essential businesses closed, and issued a stay at home order for the month of April. As a result, my office will continue to remain closed until the end of April. I am working my way through my appointments, contacting each person individually. Staying closed in May is also a probability, but let’s keep hoping. Meanwhile, wash your hands, stay home, stay healthy, and stay tuned to my website/blog, Facebook, and Instagram for health and wellness tips and other updates.
ORIGINAL POST 3/19/2020: The decision about whether to continue seeing clients or have a suspension of appointments has been weighing heavily on me the last few days. The rapidly changing news, new information coming to light, and the changing of professional opinions — as well as my concern for the well-being of my clients — have all been taken into consideration. For everyone’s safety, I have decided to close my office until the end of March and see where the coronavirus heads in the next couple of weeks.
Weighing the Factors
As of this afternoon, one case of coronavirus has been confirmed here in Penobscot County, likely right in Bangor. This reassures me that I’ve made the right decision. Here are a few other things that were red flags to me:
- Reports of summer people coming to Maine early, and therefore tracking their germs from home through our airports and grocery stores.
- Massage Educator Ruth Werner, author of “A Massage Therapist’s Guide to Pathology” originally stated she felt that it was okay to continue to see clients as long as we took precautions, but has recently revised her opinion to state that she feels that it’s just too difficult to confine the virus.
- My own general stress and anxiety levels, and not being sure if I’m just stressed or actually feeling sick.
By now, I have emailed all of my clients who were scheduled through March 31st. You do not need to go in and cancel your appointment, I’ll do that for you, so I can track carefully who I’ve had to cancel.
Don’t get too excited and run to schedule a new appointment in April. I’ll be watching what the virus is doing, and in a perfect world we would be able to continue business as usual in April, but I’m feeling cautious about that. I’ve blocked any available appointments the first three weeks of April, and the people I’ve had to cancel this month will get first dibs on them in the order they were canceled. I’ll contact you to schedule.
IF it seems like I need to stretch the closure out into April, I will update you all on my plans via email, Facebook, Instagram, and my website blog.
In the Meantime
If you’re hurting, feel free to email me, and I’ll see if I can help you with stretches, self massage techniques, or Reiki.
Some plans I’m formulating to keep us all busy, informed, or entertained:
- Blog posts & social media health and wellness tips
- Videos of self massage techniques & tips to get the most out of your massage session
- Possible guided meditation recordings/videos
- Possible distance Reiki shares
- I will also be providing distance Reiki appointments, with focused Reiki sessions for stress, anxiety, health/immune system support, or whatever you need help with – 30 or 60 minute sessions. Stay tuned for details on how to schedule.
Meanwhile, take care of yourselves and each other, and wash your hands!
Be Well, & Stay Well